Tuesday, February 3, 2009

Guy Burwell illustrator extraordinaire



Guy Burwell is a poster making institution. I met Guy when he was working at Music Millennium in 1997 or 98. He was doing illustrations for some posters, graphics for editorials, and for signs in Music Millennium. I was DJing at KPSU and I brought in my Bunnygrunt CD to play and I noticed that he had been credited with the artwork for Jen-Fi. I had really always loved that main image so it seemed kind of weirdly coincidental that I had randomly met him around the same time we were getting songs together for a compilation and our first release. I think Mark had plans for a nice photo of his dog Sherman for the cover so he saved us on that one. He also did graphic design work for us as well. I think he was learning it as he went.
Guy designed the Kissing Book and Lunchbox releases and designed and illustrated The Best Friends Group and The Gazetteers. He has gone on to make highly collectible posters for many bands and his artwork appears in places like Guitar Hero 3 and commercials. Anyway we were thrilled that he wanted to make the poster for our 10th Anniversary show. He hand screened them himself and will be available at the show.

Please check out all of his other work: Guy Burwell

No comments: